Tuesday, September 3, 2013

We're The Millers


"YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN'?"
"Well, I'm awake and I speak English, so yes I know what your saying."

To be honest, I did not have any high expectations when going to see "We're The Millers". I saw the trailer for the movie and a couple commercials which each extensively focused on the fact that Jennifer Anniston strips during the movie (OH we'll get there). The story seemed alright and the jokes used in the trailer were average. I must say that the movie was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. 

"We're The Millers" is a comedy where  low level marijuana dealer David Clark (Jason Sudeikis) hastily assembles a stripper (Jennifer Aniston), a runaway girl (Emma Roberts) and a loser boy in his apartment (Will Poutler) to come with him down to Mexico to smuggle Marijuana across the border under the guise of being a family.

 SPOILERS:
The plot for the movie is average and the acting was decent, but the shortcomings are shadowed by the comedic nature of the movie. Some of the one-liners in this movie are gold while others just fall short, but hey.. it's to be expected in a comedy. "We're the Millers" also contained plenty of moments and situations which were SO incredibly awkward that they can make you literally cringe all over (in a good way..) When Aniston and Roberts take turns making out with Poutler, when the Millers have a freaky sexual meeting with the Fitzgerald's,  when Roberts' tries hooking up with the circus imbecile, and almost every scene with Poutler.. LOL.  Despite the movie being comedic by nature,  "We're The Millers" has some memorable moments that are real sentimental and nice to see. None of the "family members" have a real family to go home to and wind up finding support/love from each other. The movie ends with the "Millers" all living together as a family after their hysterical adventure, which I found to be the most suiting ending for the film. 

Lastly, I would like to close by talking about the enormous emphasis this movie placed on Jennifer Aniston as a stripper. 

I feel as though Aniston was perfect for the role in this film. She created a character that was funny, motherly (despite the connotations one might receive from her career choice) and broken as a result of her past relationships. Some critics felt as though Aniston was not the best option for this role. I disagree with them, and I would also like to add that Jennifer Aniston still has an incredible for her age. I just don't feel like the film needed to use it as the main selling point in their advertising and marketing campaign. 

Film Rating:
80/100
B-
Funny

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment